Wednesday, June 15, 2011

June 15, 2011

I've been asked several questions about my panhandling.  I don't actually collect any money when holding my signs.  I just stand there long enough to have a picture taken.  Maybe I'll collect money one day to see how it goes.  Feel free to leave suggestions as to what the proceeds should go to (new bike).  The song of the day today is "T for Texas" performed by Johnny Cash.


I arrived at Tent City last night around 7:00 to find a small group of people gathered near the Administration Building.  They are talking intently about something and I learn that Rufus nearly got into a fight with Julius.  It's unclear what the argument was about, but I learn that a few people think Rufus is not well in the head.  I've not received word if the council will be summoned in the case of Rufus v. Julius.  A black man of about sixty years with a thin, white beard is lounging at the picnic table near the entrance to the Administration Building.  I've seen him every day that I've been at Tent City, and have gathered that he goes by Alabama.  Alabama is loud and constantly talking and smoking cigarettes, though it has become apparent that he may not have bought a pack in his life.  He speaks with a quick cadence typical of old, southern, black men and sounds like a mix between this guy and this guy.  He's wearing a Bowling for Soup shirt, but I doubt he's much into the pop-punk scene as he does not wear sweat bands and Doug Funnie shoes.  Alabama is telling everyone that he wouldn't mess with Rufus because "hegottha crazystrenth."  Alabama speaks with an air of authority that is tough to argue with.

A couple of guys are dropped off at the gates of Tent City by a man in a pickup.  One of them is the man who is struggling to find his spiritual identity (see June 8, 2011), and the other is a man that I have not seen before.  They say that they spent all day washing windows for the man who dropped them off, but they have not been paid as the guy said he will pick them up tomorrow and they will work again and then be paid.  A debate begins as to whether or not the man is trustworthy with one resident saying that he is not because he was paid late by the man a few weeks ago.  This seems to be an issue amongst the homeless population as I have witnessed a few conversations in which an "under the table" employer has been declared unreliable or questioned as such.  Alabama says what I think to be "youcan'tnevah trustnobody butyamama," and I'm about to agree with him, but one resident responds to Alabama with "forty dollars" which seems to appease him.  I have a lot to learn about conversing with Alabama.

Slim steps outside of the Administration Building to roll a cigaratte, and joins in on a conversation about the Salvation Army.  Slim hates the Salvation Army with every fiber of his being (his words), though he never explains why.  He calls them a bunch of crooks looking for a reason to kick residents out but, though I don't care for the rules at the Salvation Army either, this seems extreme.  I've never seen Slim so intense as he lets out a string of profanities describing the conditions at the Salvation Army.  Alabama says that he used to work at the Salvation Army in Wichita Falls, and it was much better than the one in Lubbock.  I guess "better" to Alabama means that the rules were more relaxed as he tells stories of residents sneaking in bottles of liquor and drinking them in bed as we all listen.  "Youknowdeyletya doanythanyouwont sahlongyoudon't smokenunadatdope" he says about the Wichita Falls branch of the Salvation Army, and everyone seems to agree that this is a good system.  I will have to disagree as I can't imagine sharing a room with Wendell and Blackie had they both been sneaking in bottles of liquor for bedtime.  I decide to head to the store for a bit.

I arrive back at dusk, and one resident greets me and tells me that it's a good thing I'm back here instead of out there "with all the crazies."  I ask him what he means and he responds that it's a full moon tonight.  I think I've found the reason for both Rufus's and Slim's feistiness.  I sit down and listen to Alabama ask a resident for a smoke.  One thing I've learned about Alabama is that he will invite any woman he sees into his tent so long as they are not within earshot.  He sits down across from a female resident who is talking about a former Tent City resident.  Apparently, the former resident had a staph infection that only she knew about.  She, Alabama, and another resident strike up a conversation about staph infection and she is a self-proclaimed expert because she went to school for a semester to be an LVN.  She has an in-depth knowledge of staph infections and I begin to question why she ever quit school since she clearly knew the subject matter.  My question is answered as she announces that she once had a staph infection between her legs where her thighs rub together.  "I had a big boil, and I popped it, and went to the doctor, and they tode me I had staph." she says as Alabama listens intently.  I wonder if this is a ploy to ensure that Alabama doesn't try any funny business with her and, if it is, something tells me it's not going to work.  The conversation continues for a few more minutes until she declares that it is bed time and heads to her tent.  Alabama waits until she's gone and says that she could head to his tent.  I can't take any more of Alabama tonight so I head to my tent. 

It's almost silent as I lay on top of my blankets until a little dog that stays out at Tent City begins to yip.  This goes on for a few minutes until I hear Alabama yell "Somebahdyshutthat gatdayumdawgup" and the dog shuts up.

4 comments:

  1. Missed you while you were gone. Find myself eagerly waiting for each new episode. Thanks for the enlightenment. Be safe. Love U. Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thinking reflective tape, bicycle helmets & reflectors should somehow find a way into ur budget. Brains like urs should not be wasted splattered in the street! Just saying......

    ReplyDelete
  3. This music immediately played in my head after reading - "in the case of Rufus v. Julius"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0F-IHwgC-Q

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Alco has a special on men's bikes this week!!!! Reni

    ReplyDelete